July 21, 2010

April 30th – the LONGEST day EVER!!!

Our flight took off as scheduled from Addis.  Noah slept most of the way from Addis to Amsterdam.  I was glad because I felt very nauseated.  I get motion sick very easily, but I had put on a patch that the doctor prescribed.  It didn’t seem to be working though.  After a few hours, I finally realized that the patch was just barely stuck to my skin so the medicine wasn’t getting into my system.  Once I figured that out and got it stuck on all the way, then the nausea went away. 

When we got to Amsterdam, I was completely exhausted.  We still had a layover there and another flight before we would back in the US.  I seriously thought I might lose my mind before we got back to the states.  Noah did fine in the airport in Amsterdam, but once we got on the plane to Detroit, it was a different story.  He pooped about 15 times, got motion sick and threw a full bottle up all over Garland.  I had packed several changes of clothes for me and Noah, but Garland didn’t pack any extras in the carry on.  He was a mess to say the least!

The flight was a mixture of screaming and sleeping for Noah.  He was not used to being held for this long and had never been in a car let alone a huge airplane flying so many miles.  By the time we got to Detroit, we were all completely wiped out.  We got off the plane and went through Immigration and Customs.  After about an hour, we finally found a spot where there wasn’t any other people.  I put a blanket on the floor and laid Noah on it and I laid down beside him.  He squealed with delight that he was finally able to be down and not held. 

For the first time in about five days, I was able to make contact with family.  Our internet connection only worked the first few days in Addis.  After that, we lost contact.  I can’t remember who I called first, but I know I talked to Mom, my sister, and Garland’s mom.  Everyone was so excited to finally hear from us.  They also got to hear  Noah squealing.  I could sense the excitement from everyone through the phone. 

We had a four-hour layover in Detroit.  I was SO SO excited to get McDonald’s food, although I was still not feeling great so I didn’t really eat much of it.  We rested while we waited for our next flight.  The flight that would finally take us HOME! 

When we got on the VERY TINY plane to Peoria, Noah was less than happy.  He was screaming mad actually.  I don’t think I had ever heard him scream so loud.  I felt terrible because it was such a small plane, and I’m sure the people on it didn’t appreciate him screaming.  At that point though, I didn’t really care.  I didn’t hardly have an ounce of energy left in me after holding him for almost 28 hours.  Garland finally gave him a magazine to tear up and that pacified him for the 45 minute flight to Peoria. 

When we walked off the plane in Peoria, it was such a surreal feeling to finally be home.  I knew that our family and friends had planned to meet us there to welcome Noah.  As we came down the elevator, we saw all our friends and family holding welcome signs and heard a lot of cheering.  Noah was quite the charmer to everyone too.  He smiled and took it all in.

 DSC_0687 DSC_0695 DSC_0697 DSC_0700 DSC_0705  DSC_0720  DSC_0728 DSC_0738 DSC_0753 DSC_0754 DSC_0755  DSC_0763 DSC_0764 DSC_0766  DSC_0768 DSC_0773  DSC_0776 DSC_0786 DSC_0791  DSC_0801 DSC_0810  DSC_0814  DSC_0823 DSC_0827 DSC_0829 DSC_0838 DSC_0842  DSC_0857 


He hated the car seat though.  My sister sat in the back seat with him and he screamed bloody murder.  I think she finally stuck her finger in his mouth and he sucked on it most of the way home.  (At this point, he hadn’t taken a liking to the pacifiers.)  We all met at Garland’s parents’ house for a meal and then headed home to finally settle in. 

The journey of a lifetime was finally over….but actually it was just beginning. 



The Tremont Scott's said...

Awww, such a special day. We came down that very same escalator with Abby in our arms to meet her family for the very first time. Last time I flew into Peoria I felt kinda sad that it might be my last time to come down that escalator with the new terminal under construction. Many happy families have been introduced in that area!!

Holli said...

LOVE THE WE ARE HOME PICTURES!! I so agree this was the LONGEST DAY! then we had another a couple weeks later... Miss you all! and welcome home:)

Debbie said...

It is a long day of flying. I'm quite sure I handled it much better than my hubby did though :-)

Despite the long flights, I'm sure you came home with extremely fond memories and hopefully a great appreciation for Ethiopia and her people.

The Gotch 5 said...

That seems so long ago. Noah has changed so much and thrived in his mommy and daddy's arms!!!! Maybe a little too much since he is such a stinkin mamma's boy!!!!