May 25, 2010

Monday, April 26 – Morning with Noah and an Evening out

Everyone was really excited this morning.  We hadn’t seen our kids since Saturday and we were very anxious to hold them again.  Today we were going to get to bring them back to the Guest House for the morning.  I was nervous and excited.  We loaded up on the bus after breakfast and went to the Care Center. 

When we got there, we went up to Noah’s room.  He was laying in his bed naked from the waist down.  This is common.  When the babies had a bowel movement, the nannies didn’t use wipes to clean them up.  They took their diaper off, took them to the bathroom, and hosed them down to clean them up.  When they were all cleaned up, the nannies would lay them back down in their bed to air dry before putting a new diaper on.  It was so funny to walk into the room and just say naked baby butts laying there. 
The nanny put his diaper on him and handed him over to us.

We went down and got back on the bus to go back to the Guest House.  The ride back over was exciting.  It was the first time we had been able to take any pictures of our kids since cameras weren’t allowed into the care center. We snapped several pictures on the five minute drive back. 

When we got to the guest house, we all unloaded the bus, but Garland stayed on with Ato Girma to go to the airport to pick up his luggage.  I was bummed that he would miss out on so much one-on-one time with Noah, but we were happy that his luggage was supposedly there finally. 

Noah and I went to the porch area with a few other families and we sat out there on a blanket and played and ooed and awed over our kids.  It was so nice to have them there.  It almost felt like we were playing house.  Noah was in a good mood the majority of the time.  He started to get fussy after a little bit, so I took him back to our room.  I figured he was just tired (and maybe a little confused!). 

He and I laid down for a while, but he wasn’t going to sleep.  I was trying to figure out what all his grunts, cries, and signals were and what they meant.  I was getting frustrated because he was getting so upset and I didn’t know what was wrong.  I didn’t have any formula since the main office was out of it when we had gone there on Saturday.  I thought maybe he was hungry.  The care center ended up bringing some food over for the babies, but when I tried to give it to Noah, he didn’t want anything to do with it.  By this point, I think he was beyond tired and was confused.  Garland was back by now and he took Noah and walked around with him for a while.  That seemed to calm him down. 

After lunch, it was time to go back to the care center.  It was the last time we would have to say goodbye to our kids.  The last night that they would sleep in foster care.  The last night of peaceful sleep for us!!  After we dropped him off, I was nervous.  I didn’t mention it to Garland, but I was so worried that Noah didn’t like me.  I was sure that we weren’t going to bond and that he was going to cry when we went to pick him up the next day.  At that point, I was pretty much scared to death.

When we left the care center, Ato Girma took us to the main office to buy formula and then we went to the “National Museum”.  When we got there, we had to be frisked by security.  I was expecting a large museum, similar to something that we would see in Chicago.  It was actually more like what our county museums would look like.  There didn’t seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason for how things were set up.  The cases were not sparkling clean, the walls had paint that was chipped and pealing, and the displays didn’t really have much of any descriptions to tell you what it was you were looking at.  Garland and I went to all three or four floors and were done with it in less than 30 minutes. 

When everyone was back on the bus, we went back to the guest house to get ready for our evening out.  We were going to a traditional Ethiopian restaurant for supper.  We got there at about 7:00.  It was very interesting.  Instead of tables and chairs like we would have here, they had stools and mesobs.  A mesob is a woven pedestal with a lid.  This is what our food would be served on.  Given my apprehension about eating Ethiopian food.  we opted to let someone else order for all of us.  The food is brought out on one tray and everyone eats from the same mesob using injera instead of forks. 
While we were waiting for our food to arrive, we visited with friends and listened to the band playing traditional Ethiopian music and then the dancers came out.  I don’t know how they were able to move so fast without flipping their heads off. 

Before our meal arrived, the busboy came around to have us wash our hands.  This is the Ethiopian way of doing things. 
When our food came, I was a little apprehensive.  I just haven’t acquired the taste for injera (which is the rolled up bread you see on the edges of the tray) or Ethiopian food.  I wanted to love it, but I just didn’t.     DSC_1279s
When everyone was finished eating, the dancers started coming out onto the floor and pointed to Garland that they wanted him to dance.  He kept telling them no, so they got Ato Girma and Andy to dance.  Andy really went to town.  It was so hilarious.  Then the dancers came up to Garland again.  He finally gave in and tried to bust-a-move.  We had such a fun time even if we didn’t care much for the food. 
DSC_1298DSC_1302 DSC_1307 
At the end of the night, we went back to the guest house with the anticipation of getting our kids for good the next day.


Debbie said...

Yod Abyssinia! Yum!! Loved it!! We went there twice during our trip :-)

Thanks for sharing about your trip. While our experiences were a bit different, I'm sure the feelings were very similar.