May 07, 2010

And so it begins…

April 21, 2010

Garland's mom and dad picked us at 9:30 a.m.   We were pretty excited.  I was also nervous.  Flying isn’t really my cup of tea.  I tend to get sick when I fly, but I had requested a prescription motion sickness patch from the doctor so I was hoping it would help.  We were flying from Bloomington, IL to Atlanta, GA to Amsterdam to Khartoum to Ethiopia. 

 DSC_0675 DSC_0677 DSC_0679 DSC_0680  DSC_0683


Our flights all went pretty smooth until we got close to Khartoum.  This was a very bumpy and scary landing.  When I looked out the windows of the plane, I saw sand everywhere.  I thought sure we were just landing in the sand and had missed the runway altogether as bumpy as it felt.  Once the plane was stopped, the flight attendants announced that we would be sitting for two hours while they refueled the plane.  We weren't allowed to get off, but could roam around the cabin if we wanted to.  I don't really remember much.  By that time, I was so tired, everything was kind of a blur.  I do know that I was glad when the plane left that place.  



April 22, 2010

We landed in Ethiopia!  This landing was much smoother than the one in Khartoum!  By this time, we had been traveling for about 29 hours.  We were tired.  I am sure we stunk.  But, we were excited.  When we got off the plane, we had to get into a long line at Customs.  We weren't prepared for the amount of people that would be in huge lines.  It was completely overwhelming.  I wish I had taken a picture of it, but by this point, we weren't really thinking.  After we got through Customs, we got into another line at Immigration.  The agent stamped our Passports and then we went to get our bags.  Two of the three bags were found quickly.  The third was nowhere to be found.  After searching for a while, we went over to the baggage claims counter.  I was glad that the person working there spoke some English.  We filled out a few pieces of paperwork, and then left to find the person that was there to pick us up. 

Right away, we recognized Ato Girma.  He was holding a CHSFS sign and had a big smile.  We were the last of our travel group to arrive since we had to spend so much time in Baggage Claims.  We all headed out to the  bus that was waiting to take us to the Guest House.  We could feel the excitement in the air among our travel mates.  While we were bummed that the luggage was lost, it didn't matter.  We were there to get Noah and nothing was going to put a damper on that excitement. 

After a 15 minute ride, we arrived at the Guest House.  Ato Girma gave us all our room assignments and showed us where the bottled water was.  It didn't take us long to get into pajamas and crash for the night. 

Bole 2


The Tremont Scott's said...

Good job, keep writing while this is all so fresh and vivid in your mind ... you'll never forget, but the little details fade over time. It will be a wonderful keepsake for Noah to read when he's older!