April 18, 2010

Three more days!?!?!


Last night I slept very little.  Worried too much about the Amsterdam airport being closed and not knowing when it's going to reopen.  I woke up and checked the internet news on my phone, hoping that the ash had miraculously disappeared while I had tried to sleep.  The news reports all said there hadn't been any change and that it would probably be midweek before any flights resume.  That sent me over the edge.  Garland got to wake up to me bawling over this gigantic obstacle.

We decided to skip church because I just didn't feel like being around people or talking about it at all.  We needed to get to Babies R Us to return a few things and pick up some last-minute items that we needed, so we went to Springfield.  That helped get my mind of off things for a bit.

I picked up some baskets for storage on the changing table shelves, a diaper bag, and a whole new outfit that Noah will hopefully be wearing when we get off the plane in Peoria. After a few more stops, we headed home to get ready for our going-away wiener roast that our friends were having for us.

In the meantime, I had emailed our travel agent, who couldn't really tell us anything because he is so busy trying to help other people get out of Amsterdam.  He said we had three options though:  1. the flights will resume and we will fly as scheduled.  2.  we reroute at a much higher cost or 3. we postpone the entire trip.  We, of course, are hoping for #1, but we don't know that we can wait until the last minute either.  I don't want to wait until Wednesday and find out that we can't get a flight, then have to reschedule the trip.  Right now, we are just going to have to wait until tomorrow to hopefully get some answers.

Just in case though, I am packing now so that I am prepared to leave on Tuesday if we have to in order to still get to Ethiopia on time.   A little humongous cloud of ash isn't going to stop us from getting to Noah.  (I have to keep telling myself that!)

Now, GO AWAY VOLCANIC ASH!!!

3 comments:

The Gotch 5 said...

Oh JuJu my heart breaks that you have to go through this. This journey has been filled with so many gut renching turns I know you are so ready to get off this ride called adoption. Girl we are praying so hard for the ash to blow another way even if for two days one to get there and one to get home. God can move mountains so surely he can blow a cloud of ash away or give you another way to sweet baby Noah. Hang in there girl there are a lot of people praying for you.....

Debbie said...

I've been thinking of you and the other families that are trying to get to Ethiopia right now. These bumps in the road stink, but keep your chin up and stay positive. This will work out one way or another and before you know it, you'll be holding baby Noah in your arms :-)

Carrie said...

Hang in there!!! Begone, ash cloud!